Friday, December 10, 2021
Grab your skates Summerside! We are pleased to announce that a few of our Ice surfaces will be open Monday! This will include the land-based jelly bean and land-based hockey rink. The beginner’s hockey area and 3 individual surfaces used for hockey are in the final stages of preparation and we anticipate these to open in the coming days. The reason for the delay on these surfaces is because the early freeze-thaw cycle in addition to freezing rain created rough and bumpy surfaces and until the ice is thick enough to support the weight of the Zamboni we are continuing to hand flood these areas. Because of the high volume of traffic we see, the parks team needs to make sure these surfaces are properly prepared and in the best condition possible. The good news is they should be open in a few days so keep checking our social media and website for announcements on that areas. Please note that our lake pleasure skating and loop is still CLOSED until ice thickness allows for our heavier equipment onto the surface for our parks team to prepare. The SSRA continues to prioritize resident and staff safety. In discussions with AHS, maintaining distancing of those not from your household continues to be an area of focus. Thus, the SSRA will once again be putting in place the necessary controls of capacities and booking systems.
Ice surface bookings will open Friday, December 10th, for reservations starting on Monday, December 13.
- Bookings will be accepted on a first come – first serve basis.
- All hockey surfaces will require reservation once they open for hockey-related activities only. As per our discussions with AHS no official gameplay between households is permitted.
- The pleasure rink and mini loop on the lake will be for walk-up usage only, and no booking will be required. This area will be accessed on a first come first serve basis with maximum usage of 1 hour.
- A maximum of 20 people will be allowed onto each of these pleasure skating surfaces
- Each timeslot is 1 hour long, and each member of the household must be booked individually into the system
In order to allow fair access to all residents, bookings will be limited to 1-time slot per day, per household.
- Bookings will open up to 4 days in advance including the current day and the booking cut-off is 3 hours before the desired time. If less than 3 hours notice you can call the gatehouse for availability at 780-756-6772
- Walk-ups will be allowed on a first come first serve basis ONLY if timeslots have not been filled, or there are no-shows. The exception to this will be on the lake pleasure skating area, where access will be exclusively walk-up based at this time
- To ensure that physically distancing can occur around our skating areas, please do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to your booking time. If you are more than 15 minutes late, your reservation may be forfeited for other residents who are waiting as a walk-up
In consideration of other residents who may want to use skating surfaces, please contact the gatehouse at 780-756-6772 if you need to cancel your reservation. Repeated no-shows may result in restricting a household’s access into the park.
During any days where temperatures are above 0 degrees and our ice surfaces have the potential to get damaged due to warmer weather, restrictions could be in place on rink use to keep our surfaces in the best condition possible. The SSRA reserves the right to cancel bookings on short notice if deemed ice surfaces are not safe. Available booking slots are subject to change at any time. For the current status of the rinks please call the Gatehouse at 780-756-6772.
Due to the recent AHS guidelines, we are participating in the REP program for our indoor spaces. If you require access to indoor skate change and or washrooms, proof of vaccination photo ID for those 12 and older will be required. Outdoor space access will not require proof of documents, and outdoor portable washroom facilities and seating will be available.
HOW TO RESERVE AN ICE TIME
1. Visit our website www.lakesummerside.ca, >Reservations
2. Click on the ice reservations tab
3. From the link provided select your desired ice surface
4. Choose the date and select a time
5. Fill in your contact info. Please note that each MEMBER must be booked individually.
6. You will receive a confirmation email. Please contact the office if you have further questions.